Sunday, November 10, 2013

Move Over, Baileys -- We've Got Homemade Scottish Cream

I'm a big fan of Bailey's Irish Cream, but there's always been a part of me that has wished for a more Scottish alternative. While surfing the Internet recently, I found the perfect -- and easy! -- answer on Food.com: a homemade version of Irish Cream that uses scotch instead of Irish whiskey. Voila! Scottish Cream.

This weekend, I gathered the ingredients and fixed up a batch. It was creamy and tasty -- perfect over a few ice cubes or added to coffee.

To give my plain brown bottle a little more personality, I also downloaded a template and created our very own "Cameron Rampant Lion Scottish Cream" label in Photoshop. 

I think it's going to be a fun aperitif to have around for the holidays. I hope you'll think so, too.

HOMEMADE SCOTTISH CREAM
Yield 4 cups

1 c. light cream                                  
1 can (14 ounces) sweetened condensed milk
1 2/3 c. single malt Scotch whisky
1 t. instant coffee
2 T chocolate syrup
1 t. vanilla extract
1 t. almond extract

Put all the ingredients in a blender and mix on high for 30 seconds. Pour the mixture in a tightly sealed container and keep in the refrigerator. The Scottish Cream will keep for up to two months in the fridge. Shake the bottle well before serving.

COOK'S NOTE: I used half and half instead of light cream, but whole milk can also be used. I also used a blended scotch whisky instead of a single malt because I didn't want to waste the good stuff, in case the recipe didn't work out.





1 comment:

scribblealf said...

I'll be making some in the very near future.........mmmmmmm.....